Rochelle Porteous has a track record as a strong, principled, effective and accountable Councillor and Mayor of Leichhardt. Rochelle gets in and takes action when something is wrong. Whether it is campaigning to stop high rise development on the Balmain Tigers’ site; fighting to save Callan Park; achieving carbon neutrality for council or developing a supported asylum seeker project she achieves outcomes.
Rochelle is a leader in the campaign to stop WestConnex and in the campaign against forced council amalgamations. She currently works as an advocacy campaigner for a disability peak organisation. Previously she has run a women’s refuge and worked in social justice, political and environmental campaigner roles. She has also been a teacher, a trainer and run small businesses.
What Rochelle plans to deliver next for the community:
- Stop WestConnex and the Western Harbour Tunnel. Protect the community. Great public transport.
- Reduce parking meter fees by 25%. Meters off at 7pm. Retain 30 min free.
- $20 million for new community, art, youth, senior and green spaces
- $40 million additional funding to extend and make safer our cycleways and footpaths. Deliver the Greenway.
- Stop public bus services from being privatised.
- End Cruise Ship pollution with shore to ship power.
- Stop overdevelopment and restore local planning powers to the community.
- Fight for a Bays precinct development that delivers real community benefits (recreational open space, community facilities, affordable housing)
- Restore local democracy with a binding plebiscite. Reinstate resident precinct meetings.
- Protect Callan Park, get the Masterplan implemented and he Trust established.
- Solar our community. A 100% renewable energy future for council and the community.
- Deliver affordable housing.