Bega Valley Shire CouncilOur Councillors and Our Plans for the Bega Valley
- 50% renewable energy by 2020
- Carbon neutral Council by 2025
- Reducing rubbish by co-collection of garden and organic waste
- Abundant native plantings in public spaces and community gardens
- Supporting local fishers – opposing supertrawler on our coast
- Ecotourism projects – native forests protection
- More public transport and safe, scenic cycleways
- More child care and aged care facilities
- Domestic violence strategies and Community Legal Centres
- Youth shelter, ‘Safe Schools’ program
- ‘Buy Local’ campaign – regional produce markets
- Sustainable, community-consulted development
- An autonomous Council abiding by transparent decision making
Cathy Griff has called Tanja home for over 30 years, and has close connection with the local community of the Bega Valley.
Cathy’s career has featured research, policy and advocacy mainly for the Australia film industry. She has a diploma of education, masters of arts, and has recently been wrestling with a doctorate.
She has a strong social justice background having worked for the Australian Council of Social Service and as a teacher and journalist with Australian Volunteers International in Bougainville.
Cathy has extensive community consultation experience. She favours strategy development in liaison with community and promises open and accessible representation.