candidate for Coffs Harbour Council
Having lived in the beautiful village of Emerald Beach since 2003, I love and appreciate Coffs Harbour’s unique coastal environment and its people. In this time, I have been an active member of the Emerald Beach community and helped lead in the protection of an important wetland from inappropriate development and the upgrade of critical road and footpath infrastructure.
I have long advocated for environmental and social justice through a range of organisations including the United Residents Group of Emerald, Coffs Coast Surfrider Foundation chapter, Landcare Australia, Coffs Coast Climate Action Group and the Coffs Harbour Greens. This coincides with my current community member positions on Coffs Harbour City Council’s Sustainability Advisory Committee and Environmental Levy Grants Panel. As a result, I have created positive change at the local and national level.
In my professional role as a High School teacher, I want to continue to better the Coffs Harbour community and especially for our young people. I have dedicated my life to supporting young people get the best start in life possible and it would be an enormous privilege to represent the entire community from the youngest to the oldest. My vision for Coffs Harbour is a safe and caring community that values our precious environment.
Combining my passion for justice and advocacy experience, I will listen to the community. I stand for a healthy environment and a safe community and advocate for the voiceless.
Once elected my initial goals will include:
- calling for a Homelessness Strategy that will guide Council’s decisions and improve the lives of people who experience or face being homeless,
- pushing for a Regional Employment and Investment Strategy that aims to generate over 50 jobs, directly offset emissions and will conserve our natural environment,
- seeking to increase the annual council spend on roads and footpaths and seek further grant funding to prioritise these works for community safety,
- a Grow the Grower programme to aid small-scale farmers to remain viable,
- better planning and compliance to protect the character of our communities and the environment,
- call for an update on the development of a new Arts and Cultural Strategic Plan,
- seek, listen to and represent the community voice in all areas of local government decision making.
For more information, go to coffsgreens.org